A chronicle of the pregnancy of my wife and the birth and life of identical twin sisters.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Couvade

Couvade is the French word "to hatch". It is also known as "sympathetic pregnancy". Basically, some men develop pregnancy symptoms during their partner's pregnancy: things like an enlarged belly, intense hunger, lethargy and vomiting. Apparently, in some places a long time ago men actually used to be the ones that took to bed during or immediately after birth and were given the care and attention usually given to women these days. Some of these men also acted out pregnancy symptoms. The actual person giving birth was regarded as the one second in need. Men's needs came first. Fun times for women.

One of my favorite things to do with my wife early on in the pregnancy was to moan, "Ahh. My couvade. Ohh. It hurts." whenever she asked me to do something. The truth is that my belly has grown a bit during her pregnancy. So, if couvade can also be defined as eating lots of vanilla ice cream then I certainly have it.
There is also artificial couvade in the form of the pregnancy suit. See below.

1 comment:

matthere said...

Will you please get one of those suits- in bright yellow- and put a 55 pound weight in it- and wear it every day and night? pretty please. -your wife