A chronicle of the pregnancy of my wife and the birth and life of identical twin sisters.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

38 weeks now...

So here we are. Kate originally predicted August 13th to be the babies birth date. For some reason, somewhere along the way we gave up on that date, thinking they would come much earlier. I can't remember exactly why, but today we are amazed and thankful that our babies are taking their time. It is best. The benefits of a 38 week gestation range from better lung development, a shorter learning curve for breast feeding to less of a chance for jaundice. All our care providers have told us getting to 38 weeks is ideal. At this point, going 40 weeks is only two weeks away and is highly possible. I do hope the girls come before then but I accept that they will come at the perfect time.

I attribute Kate's and the girl's incredible performance to several factors: diet, vitamins, exercise, the best midwife, OB and perinatologist care and Kate's not working, which has given her the time to rest and live relatively stress free during this time. This was a choice we made and is not without consequences, but those are mainly financial and can be resolved in due time. I am happy we made the choice to do everything we can to achieve a full term pregnancy.

The feeling now is surreal. You are so close to having your children in your arms, yet it feels so far away. There is a nervousness, like the kind you might have when meeting new people. It's a good, exciting feeling. Part of me feels the presence of old souls in our children. I feel that these babies are manifestations of a life force that is never ending. And I know deeply that we will learn as much from them as they will learn from us.

2 comments:

Judey said...

I predict they will come on Saturday, August 16. I think that is the greatest day EVER (of course, it's also MY birthday)!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I thought they were 40 weeks already. You go girl! Anna